In fifth grade, we were required to devise and market our own inventions. As I was much interested in engineering at that time, I was thrilled. I came up with a list of problems I felt I could solve, going through everything from personal dog walkers to sandwich makers. Though practical, I ultimately decided that I wanted to solve an actual problem and not a mere byproduct of laziness. One afternoon, while playing the guitar, I stumbled across an annoying and very prevalent problem: dropping a guitar pick in the middle of a song. One has to bend down and retrieve the pick, stopping the song to do so. Instantly, I knew that I could tackle this vexing little issue. Here's my solution:

Three compartments to store several different types of guitar picks. In addition to replacing lost picks. To create the the main pick casing, I used a CAD/CAM system to mill my design out of polyurethane. The machine I used belonged to a family friend who owned a construction business. This was my first exposure to such machinery, and I was instantly hooked. I was blown away by the incredibly cool process that provided me with a tangible realization of my design. Suction cups on the back allow the pick holder to be stuck on the guitar without damaging it. (Suction cups were taken off an unused shower mat.) The device bends to conform to the contours of whatever it is being stuck to. To create this function of the holder, I ran fishing line through holes on the sides of each compartment. No external glue or tape was needed, as the tension in the wire held everything together.

Also designed my own packaging: